It may be tempting to ignore a leaking tap or toilet or practice your DIY skills, but you will not be doing your wallet or plumbing any favours.
Leaking taps and toilets are one of the main sources of water wastage in the home and can cause long-term damage, so it is best to call in a professional plumber straight away.
COMMON CAUSES OF LEAKING TAPS
You will know you have a leaking tap if it’s hard to turn off and keeps dripping, or if water appears on the top of the sink or vanity. Common causes of leaking taps include:
- Damaged washers that no longer control the flow of water in the pipe
- O-rings that have worn down and cause leaking below the head when the tap is on
- Failed mixer cartridges that result in water dripping out of the handle
- Brass seats or valves that are pitted and need re-seating or grinding down.
- A faulty inlet valve washer that causes water to overflow from the cistern into the bowl
- Broken seals that cause water leakage on the floor or at the base of the cistern
- A broken outlet valve or washers that cause leaking and prevent the toilet from flushing fully.
HOW HORIZON PLUMBING CAN HELP
Horizon Plumbing can easily disassemble the leaking tap to find the cause and replace any faulty washers, O-rings, or cartridges. While we are there, we will clean out the tap bonnet and remove any debris, check any hoses and re-seat the tap body. We will then reassemble the tap and check carefully for any leaks.
We are happy to do all the dirty work, so you can get back to your regular routine. First, we will test the system to determine where the leak is coming from and replace any faulty washers, inlet or outlet valves. If your toilet needs replacing, we will help you select a dual-flush toilet that will give your bathroom a fresh new look and help you save on water costs.
If we think it will be cheaper to replace the leaking tap or toilet rather than repair it, we will let you know. We can order in any stock that is required and install your new tap once it arrives.